Sunday, January 1, 2012

Read in 2011

So. Fell 50 pages short of my 2011 reading goal -- had hoped to read 1,000 pages a month, but didn't quite make it there. Got distracted a lot, especially as the year went on. December was particularly dismal.

But life does go on, and there are still plenty of interesting books to read.

Here's what I read in 2011:

1066 and all That, by W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman. 116 pages.
5,000 Year Leap, The; by W. Cleon Skousen. 338 pages.
Big Nate: In A Class By Himself, by Lincoln Pierce. 214 pages.
Book of Mormon, The; Translated by Joseph Smith Jr. 541 pages.
Bullwhip Griffin, by Sid Fleischman. 193 pages.
Case of the Snowbound Spy, The; by E.W. Hildick. 132 pages.
Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in A Connected Age, by Clay Shirky. 242 pages.
Consolation of Philosophy, The, by Boethius (Translated by V.E. Watts). 188 pages.
Coyote V. Acme, by Ian Frasier.118 pages.
Crispin: The Cross of Lead, by Avi. 262 pages.
Dave Barry Turns 50, by Dave Barry (natch). 219 pages.
Dark Sun, the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb, by Richard Rhodes. 731 pages.
Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, by Jeff Kinney. 214 pages.
Diary of A Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth, by Jeff Kinney. 224 pages.
FDR My Boss, by Grace Tully. 384 pages.
Feet of Clay, by Terry Pratchett. 248 pages.
Grey Seas Under, by Farley Mowat. 255 pages.
Halloween Tree, The; by Ray Bradbury. 145 pages.
Hitler's Social Revolution, by David Schoenbaum. 324 pages.
Hobbit, The; by JRR Tolkien. 290 pages.
How Do You Go to the Bathroom in Space? by William R. Pogue, Astronaut. 178 pages.
How to Write, by Richard Rhodes. 229 pages.
I Shall Wear Midnight, by Terry Pratchett. 355 pages.
I Think, M. Kip Hartvigsen and Suzette Gee, Ed, 221 pages.
Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchett. 295 pages.
Letting Go of the Words, by Janice Redish. 363 pages.
Melba the Mummy, by Ivy Ruckman. 135 pages.
Moving Pictures, by Terry Pratchett. 254 pages.
Orbiting the Giant Hairball, by Gordon MacKenzie. 224 pages.
Perloo the Bold, by Avi. 225 pages.
Recres du Petit Nicholas, Les; by J.J. Sempe. 181 pages.
Rumpole Rests His Case, by John Mortimer. 211 pages,
Secrets of Successful Fiction, by Robert Newton Peck. 115 pages.
Silmarillion, The, by J.R.R. Tolkien. 442 pages.
Snuff, by Terry Pratchett. 398 pages.
Song of Roland, The; translated by Dorothy Sayers. 206 pages.
This Book Will Change Your Dog's Life, by Charles di Bonio. 224 pages.
Treasury of Laughter, The; edited by Louis Untermeyer. 712 pages.
Wall and the Wing, The; by Laura Ruby. 328 pages.
Whoppers: Tall Tales and Other Lies, by Alvin Schwartz. 128 pages.
Why do Clocks Run Clockwise, and other Imponderables, by David Feldman. 251 pages.
Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame. 272 pages.
Winston's War, by Max Hastings. 555 pages.
Yeager, by Chuck Yeager and Leo Janos. 331 pages.

Page total: 11,950.

What's my favorite read of the year? Too many to narrow it down. I rarely read a book I don't like -- I started a few this year that I just couldn't finish because the writing style or the subject matter were just too offensive. And as people continue to smuggle books into my house baked inside loaves of bread, I have little choice but to continue reading in 2012.

Goal this year? Well, I've got a massively thick biography of Sinclair Lewis sitting on my shelf that needs a read. Also have a collection of biographical sketches of John Steinbeck that I need to read. And I've got at least two books I need to read so I can blog about them. More on those later.

No comments: